Thursday, November 4, 2010

My First String Blocks!

When I first started quilting last year (I think it's been just about a year now - WOW - time really does fly!) I fell in love with the Arcadia line by Sanae (Moda fabrics). I bought a honey bun and 2 jelly rolls, even though I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. So, they sat in my closet and waited patiently.

Now that Sutton is sleeping in 3-4 hour blocks, last week was the perfect time to try out one of the many string block tutorials I have bookmarked. I'm not going to re-invent the wheel and post all of the steps, you can find them on many great quilting blogs - I'm new here, trust the professionals :)

So I finished 8 - 8.5" blocks. I'm thinking about making them into 2 pillows for the couch. I'm mulling over my options for the jelly rolls and am pretty close to a decision - most likely the Fat Quarterly quilt along to make a lap quilt to match the pillows....

Here are the blocks, still with the paper attached. I really like the look of these and will one day get around to making an entire quilt like this...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks great! I love this line - I have the FQs of this line but haven't done anything with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! Fall colors! Glad to hear you found a calling for this fabric. I've got a bunch of those that I'm waiting for them to speak...

    ReplyDelete