Monday, November 29, 2010

One week Challenge - Thanksgiving edition results

Amy's Creative Side
 I was able to complete all of my projects for the challenge this time, which is great considering that I had only had Friday to get stuff done (got called into work on Monday, regular shifts on Tuesday and Wednesday, in-laws for Turkey Day, Friday off, regular shifts on Saturday and Sunday!) But I succeeded and I'm thrilled with the results (well, cutting fabrics is just cutting fabrics, but I made a mug rug out of 1.5" squares and it turned out great!!)  

So onto the results: First were the fabrics for the 3 charity quilts I want to complete by year end. I'm planning on the Illinois Roads quilt pattern from the Quilts for Kids group.













Second, I wanted to try my hand at making a mug rug - Christmas style! So I sorted through my scraps and went for it - only a few of them are Christmas fabrics! I used a decorative stitch on my machine to add a line of snowflakes to the white section.



















I love that they are quick to make and a great way to practice quilting techniques. Now off to try some zipper wristlets too! I'm hoping to make more gifts than I buy this year (and to keep this trend going!). I need to get the big Nikon back out too! My little Coolpix point and shoot is worthless for taking close ups and the color differences between flash and no flash are astounding (see the mug rug pictures above! The colors in the top picture are closer to real life)

**Addendum**Here's the link to the tutorial I used for my little 1" squares. Made it SO much easier!
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=1398

11 comments:

  1. look at you cut! great job, i love the mug rug!! I need to make some of these so i am looking for inspiration everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some teeny tiny squares on the mugrug. Looks like a wonderful way to use of small scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'm loving this mug rug trend lately. I really need to make one. Yours looks awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mug rug! Way to go on your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your mug rug! I am definately going to try that method...genius! Great job getting so much done in such a short amount of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also heart mug rugs! Those are perfect for the holidays. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making zipper pouches (and mug rugs)! I'm with you...it's a good way to practice. I'm still new to quilting, so it's nice to have a small project like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mug rug is just precious. Great job! And that is just wonderful that you were able to complete your projects! What a great feeling huh?! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for meeting your challenge goals! I really love your mug rug, it turned out so cute :-) The snow flake stitches are a really nice touch, too.

    I like your idea of making more gifts than buying. I'm contemplating a New Year's resolution for 2011, to make at least one Christmas gift every two weeks. If I can do that, I'd have most of my gifts taken care of by the time next December showed up. Maybe I should it as a challenge.

    Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ~ Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also so tempted to try a mug rug after seeing them everywhere.

    ReplyDelete